Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Photo Reflections







I have spent the past couple of days scanning family pictures onto our laptop. This project started as a result of my interest in genealogy. I have been working diligently on my family history for the past 2 years. A great deal of progress has been made on several of the family branches while inevitably I have hit the proverbial brick wall on others. As part of the process of collecting and verifying family information I have been attaching pictures of individual family members where ever possible so that a face can be put to a name. In many instances I have attached multiple pictures of individuals. There remain several family members that I have no pictures for at all. This is what lead me to start my search into the tombs of our personal family picture albums. In so doing, I started creating picture files and scanning pictures into them. It soon became clear to me that I was not going to attach all of these pictures to my genealogy project but it seemed important to continue scanning.

This importance stems from me wanting to insure that these pictures survive and I know from personal experience that regular pictures can be lost or destroyed in a variety of ways. By scanning them onto our laptop they will all be digitized and not susceptible to such loss or destruction. I can then make multiple copies of picture Cd's and scatter them around to various relatives which should multiply the chances of successfully keeping them safe.

This project has made me realise just how quickly time passes us by. In viewing pictures of my two kids from the time they were snappers, through their school years and on up to the present, I have been surprised at the emotions I have been subjected to. I created separate files for each of them and have the pictures organized from earliest to most recent. When I looked at them all together I found myself getting very nostalgic. The images brought back memories I had not thought of in more years than I care to admit. All of those memories were warm and fuzzy and a treat to recall. They took me back to times and places long past but thankfully not forgotten. I look forward to continuing this project.

No comments: