Friday, September 24, 2010

A Tasty Brunch in Leavenworth


Its 11:44am and we just finished brunch. I am really enjoying the grill here at the condo. Today I roasted 2 Anaheim chilies, then peeled them, deseeded/deveined them and finally diced them up. I also diced up one of the hot links we had leftover from our lunch at Southern Boys BBQ, half a yellow onion and some of the leftover zucchini that I had grilled yesterday. Seasoned it all with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning mix and sauteed until the onions were well sweated. I then put the one remaining beef rip on the grill to heat up and get some serious bark on it while at the same time in the kitchen I added six beaten eggs to a hot pan that had about a tablespoon of good extra-virgin olive oil in it. After the eggs had set a bit I added the Anaheim's and continued the scramble. About this time I pulled the beef rib off the grill and onto a cutting board in the kitchen. I added the onions, zucchini and hot link to the eggs and continued to scramble until all the ingredients were well incorporated and all was hot. I cut the rib into two pieces and we were ready to eat.

The rib was exceptional. I may have stumbled onto the key to the perfect rib. Smoke them first and baste with a BBQ sauce during the final hour or so. Cool them in a refrigerator overnight and then reheat them on a very hot grill when you are ready to eat. This method created a very tasty bark that was crisp without being tough. I will have to try this a few more times before I can say definitively that this method works but think of all the good beef/pork ribs we'll get to eat during the attempts.

The scramble was good as well. I did not really like the hot link by itself but when diced and added to a scramble it was tasty. We washed all this down with hot coffee while we listened to the kids playing in the park below.

No comments: