Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Saga of Prostate Cancer Was Far From Over

The day after finding out I had prostate cancer CJ and I went to see my doctor.  The appointment lasted only about 20 minutes but it would be a time that would impact my life forever.  I had three options:  do nothing, radiation therapy or remove the prostate.  After about a week of discussing the issue with several family, friends and my primary care doctor I decided to have my prostate removed.  Why did I choose this route?  At 52 years old I am in decent physical shape and can hold up to the rigors of surgery.  Ten years from now who knows what shape I'll be in, possibly not good enough for surgery which would leave me with: do nothing or radiation therapy.  Opting for the surgery to remove the prostate now gave me the best shot of getting rid of the cancer all together in one fell swoop.  But, if for some reason it did not, I would still be able to follow up with radiation therapy.

On Oct 14, 2011 I checked in to Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle for the surgery.  I was accompanied by CJ and my daughter Jessica.  At check in CJ was given a device that would allow the doctor to contact her after the surgery.  There was a big flat screen television in the waiting room.  On it were all of the patients scheduled for surgery that morning.  CJ and Jessi would be able to monitor that board throughout the hours of the surgery.  The operating staff update the board at periodic steps throughout the surgery so CJ and Jessi could could follow the progress of the surgery as it happened.  Very cool.

The surgery was supposed to last 3-4 hours.  It took 6+ hours which caused CJ some tense moments.  In the end the surgery was a success.  My prostate and 12 lymph nodes were taken.  The lymph nodes were to be biopsied to ensure the cancer had not spread.  I was eventually reunited with CJ and Jessica in my room on the 6th floor.  I was supposed to spend a single night in the hospital.  That evening a couple of nurses tried to get me on my feet and to possibly walk a bit.  After a short time I collapsed onto the floor.  Both of my shins, from knee to ankle were completely numb.  Both my calves were fine as were my feet.  Puzzled looks were shared all around.  The next morning after I had broke my fast I tried again to stand and walk though my shins remained numb.  I was given a walker to help support me.  I walked out into the hall and walked up and down the hall three times.  On the 4th trip I collapsed again.  Same problem.  More puzzled looks.

As it turned out the numbness was caused during the surgery.  My legs were supported by constraints at both knees.  There are nerves on the inside of the legs, at the knee.  The tightness of the constraints coupled with the extended time of the surgery caused excess pressure on those nerves which resulted in my shins being rendered numb.

I was kept a second night in the hospital.  The following morning I could feel the pressure of the sheets on my shins.  I had a feeling of relief that I can't adequately explain.  I was able to walk, with the aid of a walker, without falling.  This allowed me to escape the hospital at about noon.

At my follow up appointment with Dr. Han the following Monday I found out that the cancer had not spread to the lymph nodes.  Hugh sigh of relief!  I also had my staples removed.  Time to go home and heal.

    

No comments: