Monday, March 3, 2008

Winter's End.........NOT!


I grudgingly climbed out of bed at the command of my cell phone alarm and immediately headed for the coffee pot. I knew CJ, my wife of 26 years, usually made fresh coffee when she got up at O-dark-thirty. She had and it was still steaming hot and delicious. After stirring in a wee bit o Saint Brendan's Irish creme I walked over and raised the window blinds. A fresh dusting of snow met my startled gaze. CJ and I had just been talking the day before about how the winter was over and it was time to get the studded tires off and the road tires on both of our vehicles. As usual, Old Man Winter will have things his own way regardless of mere human wants or demands. It is only left for us to adapt.

Once I got over the initial shock of seeing fresh snow on the ground I sat down at our large oak table to drink my coffee. A heavy mist was hanging inside the forest caressing the alder, hemlock and cedar trees like a long absent lover. It was a beautiful, delicate, picture of pure natural harmony. We only have one full time neighbor and she was not at home so the only artificial sounds were coming from the heater and refrigerator inside our cabin. I stepped outside to escape those sounds and was greeted by absolute silence save for the water dripping from the roof. It was cold, but not despairingly so, and the porcelain coffee cup felt warm in my hands. I love drinking coffee outside on cold days.

After finishing my coffee I went back inside the warm sanctuary of the cabin. I knew I had to leave early for work so I decided not to get involved in any of the myriad of chores awaiting my attention, but, rather to sit down a read another mystery from the "Complete Sherlock Holmes" book that I received for Christmas last.

Too soon it was time to pack my dinner and get ready to leave the tranquility of the mountains and head into the teeth of humanity. I don't do this willingly mind you. I work because I have to, because it is necessary to make the money that is required to live our simple lives.

Mornings like this one serve as a visual reminder just why CJ and I moved into our backwoods cabin in the first place. We tell folks that we live in our vacation cabin and it is true enough, though sometimes I forget that and it takes Mother Nature to put on a display to bring me back to my senses. I can hardly wait to get home tonight.

1 comment:

jess said...

that sounds like a perfect morning. we could all use more days starting so peacefully and serenely like that. it's strange that you just got snow and most of ours has melted now. it's been unseasonally warm (almost like it's break-up or something). just goes to show you that old man winter likes a good chuckle every now and then while keeping us on our toes...